Friday 2 September 2011

Breaking News: MajGen Taur Matan Ruak Resigns from Timor Defence Force

Major General Taur Matan Ruak
Tempo Semanal can report that Major General Taur Matan Ruak has today confirmed that it is his intention to resign from his position as Chief of the FALINTIL-FDTL, the national defence force of Timor-Leste.


At a stand up press conference today 1610hrs Dili time 2 September 2011 General Ruak stated "today I informed the Secretary State for Defence that I have submited my resignation letter to the Prime minister and President. I have asked to resign because I have served in the Armed Forces for decades and I think its the moment for me to go back to civilian life."





The Secretary of State was unavailable for comment as he had to report in person to Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao.


In July 2011 Tempo Semanal reported that General Ruak has the intention to resign and run for President of the Republic in the 2012 elections.


UPDATE 1730 hrs Dili timor 2 Sept: according TS source in the Council of Ministers today the Council has approved Gen Ruak's resignation but is still waiting for the answer of the President of the Republic Jose Ramos-Horta. However, the source says that the President does not want Gen Ruak to resign.

No comments: